Tuesday, April 19, 2005

graduation

(WARNING: I just finished reading Siddhartha)

I've been thinking recently, I know surprise surprise, but it has come to my attention that graduation is an arbitrary day to say, "Grow up." They give you this thumbs up and tell you you have proved you know enough, now get the hell out of here and solve it. Does anyone else see the overwhelming idiocy in this, in the quest to aquire others knowledge we disappear in it. True at this school I have learned random facts that I can throw out at cocktail parties to prove my utter intelligence over the normal crowd, but at the same time you could teach a parrot to do that. But the learning I am really proud of is the stupid shit I've done the mistakes or any time I broke outside boudaries, this created a new idea of self with which to define myself. I came to college overly prepared in the quest for knowledge, books overflow from my room at home, but I was unprepared for everything else, and eventually fell over my head. The thirst for knowledge has since chilled in the last few years, because it seems so fleeting, especially at this college where for every one brilliant kid it turns out there are at least twenty morons. For whick I blame the addmission process this school doesn't want their kids to be smart although they will take them to bump up the GPA and SAT score for the Newsweek College guide, but they take kids wth a lot of extra curriculars, assuming they'll get ambitious kids therefore heightening the chance of a UPS grad being successful, therefore making them look all the better. This is not based in fact just purely observation. When it all boils down to the nitty gritty, fuck graduation it means nothing to me I wouldn't even participate if my family wasn't coming. To me "graduation" needs to come from inside me when I am ready for it, when I see a new truth and can be reborn in it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dasher said...

What are you saying, Matty? Don't you know that the day after graduation you stop drinking, become mature, and make lots of money. I mean look at me. I stopped dri....ummm...Im matur....or uhhh....wanna smoke a bowl?

9:28 AM  
Blogger kfly said...

dasher you have got to be an exception. oh wait, you're not? as cartman says, 'sweet'.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home