Monday, May 02, 2005

matty

Since it is the week before finals I had intended to invade the library and stay there until I am forcibly thrown out by the old lady librarians, ( which isn't as embarrassing as it sounds I saw one of them bench 420 lbs ). But as I was finally gearing up the emerge I heard a knock on the door and a one Zack Beregevin comes in and asks if I want to play soccer at four, I weigh my options and decide eh fuck I can always do homework later, but soccer is in the now. so I said yes and now have to kill an hour till the game and what better way to do that then finish up an idea I had for a blog from last week so any way here it is:

Throughout my life I've been Matt this name has done nothing for me it has always made me seem remarkably similar to everyone else thus when introducing myself as Matt I seemed to join the ranks of all the other Matts in the world inherently making me uninteresting. Basically I hated my name. Then sophomore year a friend started calling me matty j, at first this didn't settle well either cause although I hated my name it is remarkable how much an identity is contained in a name. But as a joke during rush I put my name as matty j and all the now Juniors learned my name as matty j. So I began to answer to it, but would never introduce myself as it. After a while though the name matty j began to take on it's own persona, when I was matty j I was cocky, sure of myself, sarcastic, and all in all a more vocal person. Then came my junior year when I realized I almost had two separate personalities, when I was with friends I was close with in non social atmospheres I was Matt quiet reserved and all in all the "nice" guy. But when I was out I became matty. I noticed this especially with girls as it started I was usually quelled by girls I liked so I introduced myself as Matt, but now I use this created persona or extension of me I introduce myself as matty. Which gives me an air of individuality, also with this minor change in name I've noticed a higher success rate and higher confidence. The point of all this ranting comes to this, Names not only identify who you are but they in turn create an identity.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dasher said...

I know exactly how you feel. By day, I'm Dasher, the witty yet clumsy nice guy who many percieve as harmless. But at night, I become Captain Crotch. America's favorite superhero who uses his pelvic thrusting action to rescue innocent girls from their evil hymens. Oh...I also have heat vision.

9:10 AM  
Blogger matty said...

yeah right you were lame as nick too

6:01 PM  
Blogger Zack said...

To you, I am Zack, or occasionally Burgandy, but to the ants of what I have tentatively named "Ant hill number two", I am God!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matty,

I love the story. And therefore I must say- I have created a beautiful monster of sorts. But I love ya body. Matty is who you are to me, not because you had it written on a name tag, but because you helped me see that you were a Matty and better yet, the Matty J!

1

1:27 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Your name is Matty J, but the website for your blog is MattyJohn. Does that mean that there's a cooler and more real Matty J out there?

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home